A leader is any individual who influences their world and in return is willing to be influenced by their world, regardless of position or title.™
– Carpenter Smith Consulting, llc
Be a leader. Create meaning and satisfaction in your work life.
In working together on your Career Strategy, you’ll explore work opportunities that will fit with your life priorities and use the best of your skills, in an environment in which you thrive.
Part of our culture is the belief that getting the job is “the prize” we should strive for. And, that’s true if it’s the job that aligns with what matters to us, lets us bring the skills we love to offer, and provides an environment in which we thrive.
Navigating a career path that’s truly good for you can often be difficult because you have to sort through all of your competing hopes, dreams, fears, demands, and obligations.
We’ve created a process to guide you through all of these competing aspects of your life to get clear about what really matters to you.
- STAGE ONE: Passion and Purpose
- What’s most important to you in life? What’s your purpose? What gets you out of bed?
- We look at the whole of you and not just the lens of work. What are the things you’ve done, projects you’ve worked on (not necessarily just work related) where you felt great afterward . . . a sense of value and accomplishment.
- We’ll look at your work history, family history, hobbies, etc to determine where your natural strengths are, what you love doing, and the sweet spot of where those two things meet.
- What are your perfect working conditions (physical, type of people, salary, commute, travel, management level, team size, amount of autonomy, etc)? What’s the perfect environment for you where you thrive?
- STAGE TWO: Obstacles and Opportunites
- Now that we’ve crafted your perfect work environment where you’ll be using your best skills and strengths and will love every minute of it, we start to think about ways to use your skills and places you’ll go.
- We’ll talk about informational interviews, what you’ve tried, what some other networking opportunities are out there.
- Where are you getting stuck?
- STAGE THREE: Actions and Accountability
- Creating a resume and cover letter that scream YOU so that people can see on paper what they’ll get when they get you, they’ll see how you’re a solution to their needs, they’ll quickly see your passion for this opportunity.
- Interviewing tips (ways to answer tough questions as well as good questions to ask to be sure they’re a good fit for you).
If you’re feeling like it would be supportive to have a thought partner to discuss possibilities, brainstorm, and help you clarify how you talk about yourself to the world, contact us today.
We’d love to support you in identifying the type of work that would bring you a sense of meaning and purpose!
Here’s what others are saying about working with us:
“Stephanie was masterful at bringing clarity to things and helping me to look at the big picture—something I was not doing.
She helped me realize that opening my own firm was not only the right move for my health and sanity, but that it could actually work from a financial perspective. She was instrumental in my decision – and my biggest cheerleader!
With her guidance and support, I left the most horrible job ever and opened a very successful PR firm! My life is 1000x more enjoyable.”
– Angie Galifanis, Owner/President @ Lawrence PR, Portland, OR
“Heather understands that people’s careers, whatever shape they are in, are indeed personal. She is not afraid to take the deep dive and work through the emotion and complexity of the issues.
Her compassion, grace and humor always left me feeling inspired and confident.”
– Theresa Provitola, Principal & CEO @ Pixels & Ink Media, llc, Vancouver, WA
“Heather empowered me to look inside and see what it was I truly wanted out of work and life. We set out my priorities, my criteria for my next job, and I learned about the strengths I had as a person, not just a list of software acumen!
Her process is incredibly humane, I felt seen and understood each time we met.”
– Zöe Flanagan, Research Assistant @ Pacific Research & Evaluation, Portland, OR
To ensure the best fit between our skills and your needs, we offer a free half-hour initial consultation. We’ll meet to identify your hopes, goals, and needs for our work and to teach you how we would work together to satisfy those needs. If we determine, together, that career coaching makes sense, we’ll schedule a series of meetings to move forward.