In our post last week, Work Culture Matters, we talked about the importance of creating a culture where people feel that they belong.
In it, we described the role that both CARE and VALUE can play in creating great cultures. Some of you reached out saying things like, “I’m not sure that my boss cares about and/or values me. Am I in the right place?”
To help you identify “the right fit” for you, consider answering some of these questions:
- Are you able to bring the best version of yourself to work (i.e. use the skills and talents you love) and are you appreciated for it?
- Do you trust that your manager, team, and peers, have your back?
- Do you feel appreciated (vs discriminated against) for the various dimensions of you, like gender, race, sexual orientation, socio economic background, culture, experience, education, etc.?
- Do you feel that your position is secure?
- Does your manager support you in your career development?
- Do you have confidence that your manager, team, and peers will support you in this ever changing world?
- Are you able to ask for support, talk about success and challenges, and provide your opinion, all without being negatively judged?
- Is your workplace in alignment with your life priorities and vision of a work/life balance? Do they honor it?
After answering these questions, review whether or not your current workplace aligns with the items that matter most to you. If they don’t, consider whether you could have a conversation with your manager about creating a culture shift.
If you’ve already tried, and they just aren’t able to be influenced, it could be time to consider a change in workplace.
As always, keep us posted on what you learn about yourself and the culture that would be the right fit for you.