Each year the 19th of June, also known as Juneteenth and Emancipation Day, celebrates the first true step toward freedom from slavery.
In honor of Juneteenth, we want to share some books you can read to understand and join in the celebration:
- Juneteenth Jamboree by Carole Boston Weatherford
- Juneteenth by Rachel Koestler-Grack
- Black Angels by Linda Beatrice Brown
- Juneteenth: A Celebration of Freedom by Charles A. Taylor
- Juneteenth by Ralph Ellison
- Envisioning Emancipation: Black Americans and the End of Slavery by Deborah Willis
Together, we can right the wrong of exclusion by educating ourselves and our children.
We’re here for you,
~ Linda, Stephanie, and Heather